Sunday, October 3, 2010

Splurge vs. Steal

So... it's been pretty obvious how obsessed with handbags I've been recently as I'm sure you can tell from my previous posts. I've always had a great interest in them, but for some reason, my passion has been quite pronounced these last few weeks.

If handbags are not your cup of tea, please bear with me as I continue to fill my blog with more bag posts and pictures. I just can't help myself. :)

I've decided to start a series of posts inspired by the splurge vs. steal sections of fashion magazines. I thought it would be a great idea for people who would love to own designer bags, but can't afford them.

I will be featuring 2 bags per post - one expensive premier designer handbag and another more affordable contemporary/independent designer handbag that I believe would make a great substitute for the former.

Here's my first:

SPLURGE


Chanel Grand Shopper Tote
$2000+ (not quite sure what it is now)
13"w x 10"h x 6"d
9" shoulder drop

STEAL


Kate Spade Gold Coast Maryanne
$445
15.1"w x 10.3"h x 5.4"d
8.27" shoulder drop

Similarities:

- Both bags have a black, quilted exterior and chain handles with flat leather straps on top to make them more comfortable for your shoulders.
- They are also compartmentalized featuring a zippered middle section.
- They're both tote bags with similar dimensions.

Differences:

- The Chanel is more structured than the soft, slouchy frame of the Kate Spade.
- The Chanel is also heavier, while the Kate Spade is very light.  I own the Kate Spade and love it; however, one gripe I have to say about it is that it tends to get wrinkly (especially at the corners) because the leather is soft and not very structured, which means that when you set it down with little to no contents, the leather scrunches up and actually leaves marks over time. However, because it is black, the lines aren't really very noticeable. I'm just OCD about my bags, and that's why I notice these details a lot more than most people probably would. :)

And there you have it. I hope you guys will find these posts useful and enjoyable! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment