Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff

I just finished this book, and it was such a wonderful read! It was recommended on the Barnes & Noble website, and I decided to read it primarily because of the presence and actual relevance of vintage clothing in the story. I was definitely satisfied with the fashion part of the book. The way the narrator, Phoebe who owns a vintage clothing store, describes the clothes and the way she gives more meaning to them was truly a delight to read. It made me appreciate vintage fashion that much more. Fashionistas will love this novel.

As for the rest of the book, I was not disappointed. I dove into it not really knowing much about it, and so I was surprised to find that it actually has a very sad undertone throughout because of something tragic that happened in the main character's past. There is also a lot of mystery as to what exactly happened, and I really liked that. It kept my attention throughout the entire story.

Apart from that, there is also some romance and a lot of warm, feel good aspects, such as the friendships Phoebe forms and her personal successes.

This book was sad, beautiful, touching, happy, and just an overall delight to read. I can easily see this adapted into a charming, feel good movie in the same vein as Chocolat.

5 stars *****

Note:  I have more book review posts on my other blog dedicated to books and my love for them: diaryofabookaholic.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment